About this Event
Do you work with children and young people going through the family or care and protection legal systems? Would you benefit from some skills based training to enhance your work with children?
Legal Aid NSW is again conducting a Child Representation Conference in 2019 – this year in conjunction with ACT Legal Aid at the Novotel, Canberra.
Come early and take part in a series of optional skill-based pre-conference workshops.
Join child representatives, judicial officers and social scientist from across NSW and ACT at the gala dinner featuring entertainment and guest speakers and hosted by the ACT family law profession.
The conference features a range of lawyers, judges, social scientists and academics in the area of children’s representation including; Justice Robert Benjamin (Tas), Justice Gill (ACT), Justice Moncrief (WA), Judge Cole (SA), Judge Boyle (NSW), Dr Catherine Boland, family consultants from NSW and ACT Family Law Court registries, Professor Bruce Smyth, experienced counsel and child representatives from across Australia.
Sessions will include practical topics for child representatives including:
- Court facilitated handovers of children: the inner voice of the judge, family consultant and ICL
- The technological revolution and what challenges arise for child representation
- How to run the case when nobody else at the bar table can
- Talking to Kids
- Navigating the boundaries with court experts
- Matters that cross between the family and care systems
- Hearing the voice of children in international abduction matters
- Child focused cross-examination
- Representing Aboriginal children
- Managing changing views of children in times of delay
- The conference concludes with an on the couch session with the Happy Family Lawyer, Clarissa Rayward from Queensland.
Attendance is encouraged for all child representatives, barristers, social scientists, FDRPs and child protection and family lawyers in NSW/ACT, all who will be able to acquire CDP points.
Friday, 15 March – Pre-conference optional workshops
Advanced Skills Masterclass for Child Representative 10.00am – 5.00pm
Family Violence Intensive for Child Representatives 10.00am – 5.00pm
Friday, 15 March – Conference opening
6.30pm – 7.30pm Cocktail reception
7.30pm Gala dinner and conference launch
Saturday, 16 March
9.00am – 5.00pm Conference
$250 Pre-Conference workshops
$120 Conference opening, cocktail reception and dinner
Accommodation can be booked directly with the Novotel Canberra
Address: 65 Northbourne Ave, Canberra ACT
Phone: (02) 6245 5019
Please click on this link to register for the Conference.